Wednesday, October 12, 2016

October Mystery Writing 1


For October, our library is hosting mystery events. For the writers’ circle, we had a night of creative writing mystery workshop. This is exercise #1 that we did.



                My muscles ache as I pull myself up from the cool concrete floor of the slightly darkened room I find myself in. A quick scan and I find that there are no windows or doors. A rush of claustrophobia sets in as I circle the room. My breathing comes in raspy gasps I fall to the ground, hoisted up on all fours, close my eyes as I will myself to take in one long breath, then another, and slower, another.

                I open my eyes. The haze clears and with another scan of the room I notice it.  A small, ring-sized, black box sits in the corner. Grudge like, I crawl to the box, hold it in my beaten hands, and give it a little shake. This causes no sound and I wonder if there’s even anything inside. With my eyes alert, I inch the box open and find a note inside, a fortune cookie paper that says, “Outlook for today not so good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment